THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME - I
Matthew 5:1-11 One day as he saw the crowds gathering, Jesus went up on the mountainside and sat down. His disciples gathered around him, 2 and he began to teach them.
3 “God blesses those who are poor and realize their need for him,for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.
4 God blesses those who mourn,for they will be comforted.
5 God blesses those who are humble, for they will inherit the whole earth.
6 God blesses those who hunger and thirst for justice, for they will be satisfied.
7 God blesses those who are merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
8 God blesses those whose hearts are pure, for they will see God.
9 God blesses those who work for peace,for they will be called the children of God.
10 God blesses those who are persecuted for doing right, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.
11 “God blesses you when people mock you and persecute you and lie about you and say all sorts of evil things against you because you are my followers.
12 Be happy about it! Be very glad! For a great reward awaits you in heaven. And remember, the ancient prophets were persecuted in the same way.
Matthew 5:1-2 One day as he saw the crowds gathering, Jesus went up on the mountainside and sat down. His disciples gathered around him, 2 and he began to teach them.
- When we gather, Jesus will speak to us
- Matthew 18:19-20 “I also tell you this: If two of you agree here on earth concerning anything you ask, my Father in heaven will do it for you. 20 For where two or three gather together as my followers, I am there among them.”
- 2 Corinthians 3:17 For the Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
- Hebrews 10:24-25 Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. 25 And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near
Blessed Are Those
Matthew 5:3-11 NINE Times - “Blessed Are Those”
- Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven – Recognize you can’t do it alone.
- Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted – When you are hurting, help is on the way.
- Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth – Keep your cool in difficult times.
- Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied – Do what is right in God’s eyes.
- Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy – Treat others the way you want to be treated.
- Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God – Be careful of what you ingest into your spirit.
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called children of God – Be a bridge builder.
- Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven – I will choose to be happy, in spite of circumstance.
The Great Preacher
Isaiah 61:1-3 The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is upon me, for the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to comfort the broken hearted and to proclaim that captives will be released and prisoners will be freed.
2 He has sent me to tell those who mourn that the time of the Lord’s favor has come, and with it, the day of God’s anger against their enemies.
3 To all who mourn in Israel, he will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the Lord has planted for his own glory.
Jesus: the fulfillment of Isaiah’s Prophecy
Oaks of Righteousness
Isaiah 61:3b In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the Lord has planted for his own glory.