1 Corinthians 12:12-27 The human body has many parts, but the many parts make up one whole body. So it is with the body of Christ. 13) Some of us are Jews, some are Gentiles, some are slaves, and some are free. But we have all been baptized into one body by one Spirit, and we all share the same Spirit.
14) Yes, the body has many different parts, not just one part. 15) If the foot says, “I am not a part of the body because I am not a hand,” that does not make it any less a part of the body. 16) And if the ear says, “I am not part of the body because I am not an eye,” would that make it any less a part of the body? 17) If the whole body were an eye, how would you hear? Or if your whole body were an ear, how would you smell anything?
18) But our bodies have many parts, and God has put each part just where he wants it. 19) How strange a body would be if it had only one part! 20) Yes, there are many parts, but only one body. 21) The eye can never say to the hand, “I don’t need you.” The head can’t say to the feet, “I don’t need you.”
22) In fact, some parts of the body that seem weakest and least important are actually the most necessary. 23) And the parts we regard as less honorable are those we clothe with the greatest care. So we carefully protect those parts that should not be seen, 24) while the more honorable parts do not require this special care. So God has put the body together such that extra honor and care are given to those parts that have less dignity. 25) This makes for harmony among the members, so that all the members care for each other. 26) If one part suffers, all the parts suffer with it, and if one part is honored, all the parts are glad.
27) All of you together are Christ’s body, and each of you is a part of it.
1. Faithfulness and Dependability
We expect faithfulness and dependability.
2. Special and Vital
Jesus reached out to people who - by societies standards - were losers and made them winners.
In a fragmented and hurting world the Church can provide what no other can.
3. Indispensable and Interdependent
So, each member is indispensable and is interdependent.
4. Significant and Interconnected
Nobody is a Nobody in the Body of Christ.
5. Directed and Gifted
We all have a part to play, and no part is insignificant.
To refuse or neglect to do our part hurts the entire body.
We might not think we need the body - but certainly the body needs us.
1 Corinthians 12:27 All of you together are Christ’s body, and each of you is a part of it.